Located on famous French Côte d'Azur, Nice is a beautiful Mediterranean city with a unique historical and cultural heritage and picturesque natural landscapes.
Nice, founded in 350 BC. e., is one of oldest cities in Europe. During Middle Ages, Nice belonged to Italian Republic of Genoa until it was annexed by France in 1860. The city has a rich history and cultural heritage, most famous of which is Old Town of Nice (Vieux Nice), where architectural style combines French and Italian elements, and is also the most representative cultural attraction in Nice.
The natural landscape of Nice is impressive, especially beautiful beaches of Mediterranean Sea. The Promenade des Anglais is most famous beach in Nice, a popular place for recreation and walking for tourists and locals. In addition, Nice has many parks and gardens, such as Parc des Floralies and Parc de la Colline du Château, which offer panoramic views of city.
The gastronomic culture of Nice is also very unique, most famous of which is Mediterranean cuisine of Nice. The local cuisine is based on fresh seafood and seasonal fruits and vegetables, most famous of which are Salade Niçoise and Socca. In addition, Nice has many snacks and desserts such as olive biscuits (Pissaladière), ratatouille and popular Nice ice cream (Gelato).
Nice is also a very dynamic city, hosting many cultural events and festivals such as Nice Carnival and Cannes Film Festival. In addition, Nice has a very strong artistic atmosphere, with many art galleries and museums.Nice is one of most glamorous and popular tourist destinations on French Riviera. Here are a lot of places worth visiting:
1. Promenade des Anglais
Promenade des Anglais is a 7-kilometer coastal alley built along coast of Mediterranean Sea. The boulevard is named after British tourists who lived in Nice in 19th century, who liked to walk here to enjoy sea and sun.
Here you can experience beautiful scenery of Mediterranean coast, enjoy blue sky and blue sea, people walking, running and cycling on beach, as well as flying seagulls and gentle waves. This is one of liveliest places in Nice and one of the favorite places for tourists and locals.
In addition, Promenade des Anglais is also home to many historical buildings and cultural heritage sites, such as famous Hotel Negresco, which is a century-old store with luxurious decoration and a unique architectural style, as well as museums, opera houses, concert halls. etc. Various cultural and artistic events are held annually.
2. Old Nice
This is oldest part of Nice with charming narrow streets, colorful buildings and traditional markets. You can wander these streets and discover local culture and history.
Places to visit in Old Nice include:
1. Cours Saleya: is a centuries-old flower market and one of Nice's most popular attractions. It sells all kinds of flowers, spices and handicrafts, as well as many restaurants and cafes.
2. Place Rossetti: is central square of old town and one of liveliest places in Nice. The square is home to a baroque church called Church of the Annunciation, as well as many restaurants and ice cream parlors.
3. Palazzo Lascari: 18th century aristocratic mansion, now a museum, displaying a collection of baroque musical instruments.
4. Piazza Garibaldi: is an Italianate style square surrounded by colorful buildings and cafés.
In addition, old town has many beautiful buildings and sights, such as baroque monastery of Saint-François (Monastère Saint-François), as well as charming streets and lanes that you can stroll along. Feel romantic atmosphere of Southern France.
The ruins of ancient castle are located on a small city hill, offering stunning views of whole of Nice. You can walk or take elevator upstairs for great city and ocean views.
4. Russian Orthodox Cathedral
This imposing church is an important remnant of residence of the Russian royal family in Nice. It is famous for its unique Russian architectural style and ornate interior decoration.
5. Flower Market
This is one of most popular markets in Nice, where you can buy all kinds of flowers, fruits, vegetables and local delicacies.
7. Matisse Museum
Dedicated to work of French artist Henri Matisse, this museum is perfect place to learn about his life and art.
8. Nice Opera
Nice Opera House is a historic opera house in Nice in south of France, one of most famous opera houses in Europe.
The building was built in 1882 according to design of architect Francois Ohnet. The exterior of opera house building is very magnificent, mostly in Roman style, and interior decoration is in Victorian style, its hall is luxuriously decorated and very majestic. The auditorium of opera house can accommodate about 1000 spectators and is one of largest opera houses in southern region.
Theatrical performances such as operas, ballets and concerts regularly take place at Opera House, attracting a large number of art lovers and tourists. Here tourists can enjoy performances of best artists from all over world and plunge into rich cultural atmosphere and artistic charm.
In addition to opera performances, opera house itself is worth a visit. Tourists can visit interior of opera house, get acquainted with its history, architecture and culture, as well as feel its magnificent atmosphere and deep cultural heritage.
9. Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (Musee d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporain)
Located in center of Nice, museum is one of largest contemporary art museums in south of France and one of most important art institutions in Europe. Founded in 1990, museum houses a large collection of important works from 20th and early 21st centuries.
The museum building itself is a work of art designed in Art Nouveau style by French architects Jacques de Monts and Henri Vaquez, with a clean, bold exterior and glass, steel and concrete interiors that create a truly modern, open atmosphere.
The museum's exhibitions cover works of art dating back to 1960s and have collected works by almost all contemporary artists such as Andy Warhol, Alex Kaiser, Thomas Strach, Kaiser Lou Stow, Duchamp, etc. The museum displays various forms arts such as painting, sculpture, photography, installation, film and new media art, including many world-famous works.Nice is a famous tourist city in south of France and one of famous French cuisines. There are Mediterranean seafood, Italian pizza, French cheese and wine, etc. Here are some popular specialties of Nice:
Socca is a specialty snack in Nice. These are chickpea flour pancakes. They are crispy and rich in taste. You can add black pepper and olive oil to enhance taste.
2. Salad Nicoise
Nicoise salad is a traditional salad in Nice. It consists of potatoes, eggs, salmon, black olives, tomatoes and vegetable leaves. Fresh and tasty, seasoned with olive oil, vinegar and mustard.
Ratatouille is a vegetable stew from Nice. It includes tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, onions and other vegetables, as well as seasonings such as olive oil, garlic and herbs. It has a rich flavor and is a good choice for vegetarians.
Pissaladière is a pizza-like snack. It consists of onions and several spices. Garlic, olives and salmon are sometimes added. It is crispy on outside and tender on inside. This is a very popular French appetizer. . . .
5. Vin Rose
Nice is located on Mediterranean coast and has rich wine resources. Vin Rose is one of most popular local wines, which has a light taste and pink tint, and in combination with local dishes it acquires a special aroma.
6. Tarsh Nisua
Farsi Nisua is a traditional dish of stuffed vegetables and meat. Usually local vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes are stuffed with meat, fried and drizzled with olive oil for a delicious taste.Here are some recommended restaurants in Nice:
1. Le Bistrot d'Antoine: A classic local restaurant known for its traditional Nice cuisine and excellent service. Specialties include lettuce salad, fish soup and meatloaf.
2. La Petite Maison: This restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine known for its fresh ingredients and unique flavors. The menu includes dishes such as frog, lobster and lamb chops.
3. Acchiardo: This is a family run restaurant serving traditional Nice dishes. Dishes on menu are prepared according to traditional family recipes, including lettuce salad, tomato sauce and meatloaf.
4. Jan: Created by Chef Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen, this restaurant serves unique South African and Mediterranean dishes as well as fresh local seafood. The restaurant also has a terrace with great views of city.
5. Keisuke Matsushima: This Japanese restaurant offers innovative Japanese-influenced French cuisine using traditional French ingredients and cooking methods. The interior of restaurant is simple and modern, it is a very comfortable place to have a meal.Good accommodation options
There are many different accommodation options in Nice, including hotels, pensions, youth hostels, etc. Here are some common places to stay:
1. Old Town (Vieux Nice): There are many traditional stone buildings, streets and alleys, and this is one of most representative areas of Nice. There are many charming streets and squares in old town, and many accommodation facilities are concentrated here. If you like to explore city on foot, stop in Old Town.
2.Beach area (Promenade des Anglais): The beach area of Nice is located in south of city, stretching along famous Promenade des Anglais. It is one of the most popular tourist areas due to its stunning ocean views and many restaurants, cafes and shops.
3. Near central station. If you are planning to make day trips or travel to nearby cities, staying close to central station is a good choice. There is a lot of accommodation here and it is also very close to city center.
4. outer regions. If you like a quiet environment, small towns and villages around Nice are also suitable for you. Here are some resorts and guest houses for tourists to choose from.Here are some recommended hotels:
1. Hotel Negresco. Situated on banks of Promenade des Anglais, this historic 5-star luxury hotel is one of Nice's most famous landmarks. The style of hotel is unique with a strong artistic atmosphere, a variety of rooms and suites in different styles, a full range of amenities and first-class service.
2. Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Méditerranée is a luxury five-star hotel located on Croisette, close to old town. The hotel has luxurious amenities, spacious and comfortable rooms and suites, as well as a pool overlooking sea and a terrace on top floor where you can enjoy stunning sea views.
3. Hotel La Pérouse - This 4-star hotel is located near Castle of Nice and has stunning sea views. The rooms and suites of hotel are very comfortable and well equipped, and it also has a beautiful garden and terrace.
4. Hotel Beau Rivage - Situated on Croisette, this 4-star historic hotel offers great sea views and unique décor. Comfortable and spacious, the hotel's rooms and suites feature a rooftop terrace and swimming pool.
5. Hotel Le Meridien Nice - This 4-star hotel is located on Promenade des Anglais with stunning sea views. The hotel's rooms and suites are well equipped and stylishly decorated, as are outdoor pool and fitness centre.
Nice is a famous seaside city in France. The Mediterranean climate makes it sunny and pleasant throughout year. This is one of famous resorts in Europe. Nice beaches, coastal paths and gardens, famous Promenade des Anglais, etc. attract many tourists.
Thanks to its unique culture, history and natural environment, Nice attracts tourists from all over world for recreation and tourism.
It's not easy to write an article and make a guide. If you pass by, love and like, move your hands to like~